A creamy cheesy macaroni and cheese with diced ham and a buttery panko crumb topping.
- 1 pound elbow pasta, cooked and drained
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded yellow sharp cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups shredded white cheddar
- 8 ounces ham, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup panko crumbs or homemade bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add milk in a slow, steady stream whisking to keep from lumping.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until mixture is thick and bubbly. Whisk frequently during this time.
- Season with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Reserve 3/4 cup of cheese and place remaining cheese in pot and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in cooked pasta and ham. Transfer to a lightly greased 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Top with remaining 3/4 cup cheese.
- Combine panko crumbs and melted butter in a small bowl and sprinkle on top of mac and cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Voila! Your dish is prepared and ready to be served. Now you can eat to your heart’s content. Share your creation with us on Instagram @artisandelibnb